Politics

Agency reduces refugee resettlement plans

refugees
Supporters of refugee resettlement at January rally in Rutland. Photo by Adam Federman/VTDigger

RUTLAND – Rutland has recently received word that the number of refugees an agency plans to resettle in the city in this fiscal year has been reduced from 100 to 75.

The reduction follows a call by President Donald Trump late last month to cut the number of refugees admitted into the country this fiscal year to 45,000. That’s far lower than the previous fiscal year when President Barack Obama set that cap at 110,000.

Rutland Mayor David Allaire said Thursday that litigation and court action nationally associated with the president’s immigration orders raises uncertainty over just how many refugees will actually be resettled in the city this year.

In the prior fiscal year, three families, totaling 14 refugees, resettled in Rutland. The plan had called for up to 100 Syrian and Iraqi refugees to resettle in the city by Sept. 30, about a year after the city had been designated a resettlement site by the U.S. Department of State.

However, Trump’s executive orders issued shortly after taking office in January and the resulting legal challenges stalled that effort.

David Allaire
David Allaire, mayor of Rutland. Photo by Erin Mansfield/VTDigger​

“These tentative plans are just that, tentative,” Allaire said Thursday of the revised figure for the current fiscal year of 75 refugees. “Until it all gets sorted out, I assume in the end at the United States Supreme Court, everything seems to be on hold.”

Alderman William Notte, a supporter of refugee resettlement in the city, said Thursday he shared that feeling of uncertainty.

“Given everything playing out in the federal level, which is where these decisions are made, I will breathe a sigh of relief when these individuals are actually here,” Notte said. “Am I positive people are coming? No. Last year we were slotted for 100 and we fortunate to get 14. I”m certainly hopeful we will get the full 75.”

A few weeks ago, the city received news that the Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program was hoping to resettle 100 Syrian and Iraqi refugees this fiscal year in Rutland. However, with word of Trump’s lower cap late last month, the number the agency is hoping to resettle in the city has been scaled back to 75.

Denise Lamoureux, state refugee coordinator, recently sent an email Monday to leaders of community organizations in Rutland discussing the change.

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration “has approved a preliminary revised plan with an objective of 75 rather than 100 refugees for Rutland for federal fiscal year 2018 (10/117 to 9/30/18),” the email stated.

Lamoureux’s email also stated that a meeting set for Oct. 19 of the Rutland Refugee and Immigrant Service Providers Network has been canceled “due to no new refugee family arrival in Rutland at this time.”

“However,” the email added, “there is hope that additional refugees will have arrived by the time of our next scheduled meeting on December 21st.”

Allaire posted that email to his Facebook page this week, along with a separate email from Amila Merdzanovic, Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program director. That email, addressed to “community partners,” also relayed information about the revised plans for 75 refugees for Rutland.

“Additional security vetting procedures are expected to be instituted in FY 2018,” Merdzanovic’s email added. “Currently, it is not clear how this will impact processing times for refugees.”

Lamoureux and Merdzanovic could not be reached Thursday for comment.

The New York Times recently reported that the plan to cap refugee admissions at 45,000 is the lowest any White House sought since 1980. That’s the year, The New York Times added, legislation gave the president a role in establishing a cap on refugees.

The Trump administration has contended that the lower cap figure is needed to ensure proper vetting and screening of refugees.

The issue of refugee resettlement had been a hot-button topic in Rutland during the mayoral election in March that saw Allaire win the job over longtime incumbent Christopher Louras.

The former mayor had been a strong supporter of the refugee resettlement program, while Allaire, then a veteran member of the city’s Board of Aldermen, had opposed it, citing a lack of transparency in the process.

For the past several months there has been little, if any, debate or discussion about refugee resettlement at city meetings.

“My feeling about this right along has been if indeed there are more families that are coming into Rutland, refugee resettlement families, I would welcome them as I would anyone else,” Allaire said Thursday. “This is a federal program, the Rutland government has no control over the numbers or anything else.”

Notte said Thursday he believed that the scaling back in the number of refugees planned for resettlement in Rutland this fiscal year actually shows that the process is working.

“I know there were some people who had fears it was going to be 100 people every year and it was going to be like clockwork and it was going to overload the system,” he said. “I think the fact that it’s been reduced by 25 bodies shows that the proper analysis is being done for what the community can handle on a year-to-year basis.”

If you read us, please support us.

Comment Policy

VTDigger.org requires that all commenters identify themselves by their authentic first and last names. Initials, pseudonyms or screen names are not permissible.

No personal harrassment, abuse, or hate speech is permitted. Comments should be 1000 characters or fewer.

We moderate every comment. Please go to our FAQ for the full policy.

Alan J. Keays

Recent Stories

Thanks for reporting an error with the story, "Agency reduces refugee resettlement plans"