
Following reports of wildfires and persistent dry conditions, the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation has stopped issuing debris burning permits for two weeks.
This ban is in effect through Nov. 11 at 3 p.m., but the department could cancel it early if conditions improve.
Wildfire risk has fluctuated in Vermont between high, very high, and extreme over the past week, and dry weather, low humidity and strong winds have combined to create conditions that make wildfires highly likely to spread, according to a press release from the department. The lack of rainfall in the forecast and dry forest fuels further heighten the fire danger across the state.
Many town forest fire wardens had already ceased issuing burning permits, and the statewide order aims to reinforce local efforts, according to Danielle Fitzko, commissioner of the department.
“We are also concerned with fire department personnel becoming strained and fatigued as they share responsibility for wildland fire response,” Fitzko said in the release.
Vermont Forest Fire Supervisor Dan Dillner emphasized the importance of limiting human-caused fires to reduce risk.
“It is critical that we reduce the potential for further human caused fires by putting this temporary ban on burn permits in place,” Dillner said in the release.
On Sunday, fire crews discovered a large forest fire that destroyed two camps near Morgan Hill Road in Barnard, which then spread to the surrounding woods, according to a Sunday press release from Vermont State Police.
The origin of the fire is believed to be related to the improper disposal of ashes from a wood stove. Police said the fire crews were still fighting it at 4 p.m. on October 27, and smoke may be visible for several days, according to state police.
