Burlington officials can continue to clear the Sears Lane encampment, a Superior Court judge ruled, after an attempt by campers to stop the city’s action failed.
The campers’ argument in an ongoing lawsuit โ that the city government had violated its policies by disbanding the camp โ isn’t likely to succeed, Judge Samuel Hoar of Chittenden Superior Court wrote. As a result, the court couldn’t interfere with the city’s plans.
โPlaintiffs claim that the city has violated its โsheltering on public lands policy.โ They have not shown, however, that the policy creates any legally enforceable rights,โ Hoar wrote.
According to Hoar, the campers could be awarded damages if they prove the cityโs policy:
- Was an ordinance holding โthe force of law;โ
- Or, served as a contract between campers and the city;
- Or, mandated that the city act in a certain way.
Since the policy did not meet any of those three standards, the city was not under any obligation to follow it, meaning that the campers likely wonโt win their lawsuit, Hoar said.
The ruling โ which was signed Monday night and made public Tuesday โ follows a hearing Oct. 28, at which Hoar sought to help the campers understand the cityโs argument against them. The campers are representing themselves without an attorney.
In his decision, Hoar declined to say whether he approved of the cityโs actions or its policy.
โThose are questions of policy that are properly committed to the political process and so are not a proper subject of judicial intervention,โ the judge wrote.
Others have blasted the cityโs move, including the city councilโs six Progressives.
The Vermont chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union โ whose 2019 settlement with Burlington about a similar dispute led to the policy that campers cited in their arguments โ also denounced the cityโs actions.
โWe are disappointed in the courtโs take on our settlement agreement with the city of Burlington and we are reviewing options,โ ACLU-Vermont Executive Director James Duff Lyall wrote in an email. โAll Burlington residents should be treated with respect and compassion, and both the city and the state need to adequately fund and implement services that address housing insecurity, poverty, mental health concerns, and substance use disorders.โ
The policy in question states that, for city officials to disband a settlement on public land, there needs to be an โimmediate health, safety, or ecological concern where significant harm has occurred or is likely to occur.โ
In their defense against the campersโ suit, city officials submitted affidavits raising concerns about unsafe structures and the risk of fires at the site, though Mayor Miro Weinberger didnโt mention these issues in his Oct. 14 statement first signaling the campโs closure.

At last weekโs hearing, camp resident Grey Barreda argued that the cityโs policy applied to individual dwellings, not to the entire encampment, and the city should have removed only residents who posed immediate harm to public safety.
The removal of the South End encampment has ignited a fiery debate about affordable housing in Burlington, and how to meet the needs of those without it.
Until last month, officials sought to treat the Sears Lane encampment as a less-than-ideal solution to a severe housing shortage. But after authorities arrested two residents of the camp on Oct. 13, Weinberger announced his intention to disband the camp by Oct. 19.
Facing backlash and allegations that the move was illegal, officials later extended how long campers could remain at the site, and offered them temporary housing and storage for their belongings.
Still, the cityโs action prompted two campers โ Barreda and Alexus Grundy โ to file a civil complaint. The duoโs two requests for emergency relief prior to the Oct. 28 hearing were denied by Hoar, who said that the campers didnโt have enough legal basis to undo the campโs removal.
While some campers received permission from the city to stay at the encampment beyond the Oct. 26 deadline, no one is currently living at the site, said Samantha Sheehan, a spokesperson for Weinberger.
The city installed fencing around the site last week to protect large items that campers were unable to move by Oct. 26, Sheehan said.
Barreda did not respond to an email asking for comment.
City Attorney Dan Richardson said the city is weighing whether to submit an answer to the campers’ initial complaint or file a motion to dismiss the suit. The deadline for them to respond is Nov. 15.

