Education

Data dig: How state clawbacks for health care will hit each district

The state will recapture nearly $13 million in education fund money from school districts over the next two fiscal years.

The recaptures are part of a deal that Gov. Phil Scott reached with House Speaker Mitzi Johnson and Senate President Pro Tempore Tim Ashe in late June during a special legislative session focused entirely on teacher and support staff health insurance contracts.

Almost every school district in the state will have money recaptured. In fiscal year 2018, each affected district will effectively pay back 65 percent of its share of the $13 million. In fiscal year 2019, the affected districts will effectively pay back the remaining 35 percent.

The total amount of money the state is recapturing is equal to a little bit less than what the districts would save by negotiating contracts that require teachers and support staff to pay 20 percent of their health insurance premiums.

Use the charts below to see which schools will have the most money recaptured, and how much money the state will recapture from any particular district.

If you read us, please support us.

Comment Policy

VTDigger.org requires that all commenters identify themselves by their authentic first and last names. Initials, pseudonyms or screen names are not permissible.

No personal harrassment, abuse, or hate speech is permitted. Comments should be 1000 characters or fewer.

We moderate every comment. Please go to our FAQ for the full policy.

Erin Mansfield

Recent Stories

Thanks for reporting an error with the story, "Data dig: How state clawbacks for health care will hit each district"