
[C]ivil liberties advocates are pushing back against proposed rules on digital recording in Vermont courts.
The rules as drafted threaten the rights of the public and the media alike, while โignoring the realities of modern journalism and storytelling,โ according to testimony at a hearing Thursday.
The Vermont Supreme Court held the meeting to get public input on the draft new rules, written by a special committee.
The existing rule set was written in 1988. The update seeks to take into account the dramatic changes in recording technology since then, with the advent of smartphones and other pocket devices.
Chloรฉ White, policy director at the American Civil Liberties Union of Vermont, testified Thursday, as did Montpelier resident Stephen Whitaker, who described himself as an independent producer of media.
Both said the proposed changes would unfairly limit recording access to members of established media outlets. White also suggested the rules threaten the right to due process for anyone found to be in violation.
โThe ACLU of Vermont would like to express our serious concerns regarding these proposed changes,โ White said. โWe feel like these proposed changes are onerous and perhaps an overreaction and pose worrisome questions regarding constitutional rights.โ
The rules, which would cover the Vermont Supreme Court and the superior courts, set up a formal registration system for members of the media. Others who arenโt participating in the legal proceeding would be banned from taking or transmitting pictures and video.
Notes accompanying the rule change proposal say this prohibition is meant to โprevent abusive use.โ
The distinction drawn among participants, nonparticipants and the media, White said, raises First Amendment concerns.
According to her, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that the First Amendment grants โthe press no right to information about a trial superior to that of the general public.โ
She said โthe judiciary is making a troublesome distinction between the media and the general public and the information they can receive and transmit.โ

Whitaker testified that the proposed rules might discourage citizen journalists or members of nontraditional news outlets from covering important stories.
โI think we all recognize that the definition of media has changed in the last decade or two โ dramatically,โ Whitaker said. โWhat I see in the draft rule โ clearly written by lawyers โ is that itโs so full of caveats and complexities and exceptions that it would be nearly impossible for us nonestablished media, nontraditional but emerging media outlets, to navigate.โ
Whitaker also spoke to the worry of potentially being denied access.
โSitting on pins and needles waiting to know whether youโre going to get approval or not and then competing with other more established media outlets, or traditional media outlets,โ he said, โis kind of an untenable position for todayโs media landscape.โ
Whitaker asked the committee to adopt the rule changes provisionally and be open to revisiting them.
White echoed Whitakerโs concerns about the complexity of the proposed media registration system.
โThe proposed rule creates an onerous and cumbersome process to register as media and therefore to be allowed to engage in digital recording,โ White said, โpotentially creating obstacles to citizen journalists and ignoring the realities of modern journalism and storytelling.โ
White spoke at length about her organizationโs concerns over the proposed rules authorizing the temporary seizure of recording devices. Court officers would be allowed to confiscate a device if they had โgood causeโ to believe it had been used in a prohibited manner.
The rules donโt adequately describe the process for confiscation, White said.
โWill judges or other staff force those whose devices are confiscated to show them the recording or even to delete it?โ White asked. โWill people be forced to turn over their deviceโs password? And what happens if they refuse? When will the individual recover their phone? Will there be monetary or civil consequences?โ
White asked the committee to further consider its proposed changes.
Retired Justice John Dooley, who is chair of the special committee, told White that court officials are already allowed to confiscate devices for good cause.
โThe confiscation or seizure rule,โ Dooley said, โhas already been introduced in a directive, so we sort of just took what was already there.โ
Dooley said the committee had included the provision allowing confiscation because a member of a court audience might take pictures or video of a jury.
In an interview last month, Dooley said there have been cases where nonmedia members of the public used recording in an attempt to intimidate participants in court proceedings.
Superior Court Judge William Cohen told the committee that a distinguishing feature of new handheld recording devices such as smartphones is that theyโre more difficult for judges to keep an eye on than a conventional news camera.
โThe devices themselves are so small, so accurate that itโs difficult to see if something is being recorded or whatโs being done,โ Cohen said Thursday. โWhether or not somebody is even recording โ you just wouldnโt know. And thatโs something weโve struggled with.โ
โWhat can we do about that to protect the privacy of the juror?โ Dooley asked. โIs it possible that we can grab the device and say, โRemove itโ or something like that, or is there no option like that?โ
White agreed that Dooley and Cohen raised reasonable questions, but she said she still had some concerns about how the proposed rules are written.
โThere are these procedural questions of whoโs taking it, and when do they get it back,โ she said. โDo you escort them from the courtroom then? Do you escort them from the courtroom now? Is there any sort of process?โ
Thursdayโs hearing was the only one scheduled, but the committee overseeing the rules change will continue accepting written comments until Sept. 18.
