SOUTH BURLINGTON — South Burlington High School went into lockdown Wednesday after school staff received threatening emails and phone calls this week.
Superintendent David Young reported that threats were received Tuesday “through hacked student email accounts at the high school” and “a concerning phone call later in the day.”
South Burlington police “identified both as low-level threats,” Young said in a message to parents, but police and school officials began implementing safety protocols at that time.
Then on Wednesday, just after 11 a.m., several staff at the high school received “another more detailed message of a threatening nature.” The school told parents via email at noon that police had “secured the entrances to the high school and are preventing all movement within and access to the high school building.”
Activities at Frederick H. Tuttle Middle School were moved inside because of its proximity to the high school, and security protocols were being followed there as well, the email said.
The high school was dismissed at 1:30 p.m., and after-school activities were canceled. Parents were informed via robocall.
Young, in one of his messages to parents, said the South Burlington police are still working to identify the source of the threatening calls and emails.
Gun and bomb threats called in to Essex High School last week led to a lockdown there and a massive police response. Essex police have since said they believe that incident was a “swatting” hoax, a prank intended to elicit a large armed police response.