Dan French, Phil Scott
Education Secretary Dan French, left, and Gov. Phil Scott in 2019. File photo by Mike Dougherty/VTDigger

Education Secretary Dan French announced Friday that he would not support a Vermont-NEA proposal to create a new statewide commission on reopening schools.

Since the state released broad school reopening guidelines last month, the NEA โ€” the union that represents most of the stateโ€™s school employees โ€” had been pushing for the creation of a task force to involve more educators and staff members in the reopening process. French wrote in a statement Friday that the unionโ€™s proposed commission would not be โ€œresponsive enough or nimble enoughโ€ to support individual school districts as they work to implement state guidelines.

A state planning group that meets weekly and includes Vermont-NEA representatives is working “very well,” French said. A new commission would be unnecessary, he said, adding that the proposed commission would lack โ€œthe necessary legal or regulatory authority to establish and imposeโ€ statewide mandates.

Vermont-NEA President Don Tinney conceded that French โ€œmay legally be correctโ€ that the commission couldnโ€™t mandate directives, but he said, โ€œI still think that we wouldโ€™ve been able to offer some really sound directives, even if it were in the category of sound advice.

โ€œWeโ€™re very disappointed that weโ€™re not going to have our members making decisions at the state level about how to best reopen schools safely,โ€ Tinney said. โ€œThe safety and health guidelines that we have are a good start, and we need to have educators at the table as they develop implementation plans to make sure those guidelines and standards are met in all schools.โ€

Under the NEAโ€™s proposal, the commission would have been tasked with providing further guidance to districts on how to plan reopening.

โ€œIt still is important that we have folks working at the state level โ€” the expertise of our educators combined with the expertise of health professionals โ€” to provide additional guidance to local school districts, rather than have 57 different interpretations of the health and safety guidelines and 57 totally different plans,โ€ Tinney said.

The Vermont Principals’ Association, the Vermont School Boards Association and the Vermont Superintendents Association all opposed the creation of a commission, despite echoing many of the NEAโ€™s concerns about establishing further statewide guidance.

โ€œWe didnโ€™t believe that a commission was the best way to get the answers that are needed when they were needed,โ€ said Jeff Francis, the executive director of the Vermont Superintendents Association. 

Francis, though, said the issues raised by the union in calling for the commission were “legitimate and important.โ€

Francis said he requested that French โ€œformalizeโ€ the group of education stakeholders, including union representatives, that currently meets on Fridays โ€œso that we could more deliberately take into consideration the types of questions that the NEA was asking.โ€

โ€œWe thought that the issues that were brought forward by the NEA should be part of an agenda that the stakeholders with which Dan [French] is working should be brought forward as a first order of business,โ€ Francis said. 

Sue Ceglowski, executive director of the Vermont School Boards Association, said a new commission would โ€œbe unwieldy and lack the flexibility to address the ever-changing environment imposed by the pandemic.โ€

Tinney said he was surprised by the timing of Frenchโ€™s announcement, which was tweeted out by the Agency of Educationโ€™s official account at 1:52 p.m., in the middle of the weekly meeting with education stakeholders during which the commission was being discussed.

โ€œI donโ€™t know how to interpret that other than, apparently it was a foregone conclusion before we went in the meeting,โ€ Tinney said.

Francis said he found the timing โ€œunusual.โ€

โ€œI think the process shouldโ€™ve been afforded more respect,โ€ he said.

Agency of Education spokesperson Ted Fisher declined to comment on the announcementโ€™s timing, and wrote in an email, they โ€œremain perplexed by the VT-NEAโ€™s calls for a seat at the table when theyโ€™ve been at the table all along.โ€

โ€œThe Dept. of Health, the Agency of Education and this education stakeholder group has created statewide health guidance to safely reopen schoolsโ€“with several members of the VT-NEA at the table and contributing every step of the way,โ€ Fisher wrote. โ€œNow, we need to implement this guidance through local district leadership. We did not feel another statewide task force would expedite this process or be well-positioned to do this type of work that has always occurred at the local level, which the Secretary conveyed in his statement.โ€

โ€œWe hope the VT-NEA and their members can lend their expertise and bandwidth to help local education leaders prepare for the fall,โ€ Fisher added.

In recent weeks, Senate President Pro Tem Tim Ashe, D/P-Chittenden and a candidate for lieutenant governor, backed the Vermont-NEAโ€™s request for a task force that includes more school employees. Gov. Phil Scott characterized Asheโ€™s request as a political move.

Jasper Goodman is a rising sophomore at Harvard University, where he is a news and sports reporter for the Harvard Crimson, the school's independent student daily newspaper. A native of Waterbury and a...

13 replies on “Education secretary rejects Vermont-NEA request for school reopening commission”