
VTDigger is posting regular updates on the coronavirus in Vermont on this page. You can also subscribe here for regular email updates on the coronavirus. If you have any questions, thoughts or updates on how Vermont is responding to COVID-19, contact us at coronavirus@vtdigger.org
Burlington launched a new grant program for small businesses that employ low- and moderate-income workers during the coronavirus pandemic, using $110,000 in federal funding.
Mayor Miro Weinberger announced the program during a Monday afternoon press briefing. The money comes from a federal Community Development Block Grant loan program for small businesses that is now being repurposed.
โThis is one of the first funds we can get on the street and start to make an impact for Burlington businesses that we know are hurting right now,โ Weinberger said.
The funds are available to low- and moderate- income business owners and businesses attempting to retain jobs for low- and moderate-income workers, according to the cityโs website. Funds can be used to cover business operations including rent, utilities and working capital.
Businesses can access an application survey on the Burlington Resource and Recovery Center website. The application period will remain open until April 5.
Luke McGowan, the director of the cityโs Community & Economic Development Office, said the city expected to get money to businesses within the month.
โWe know itโs not going to be enough, but it’s a start,โ he said. โWe do want to use this also as a way to understand the need thatโs out there in our community.โ
Gov. Phil Scott announced a โstay homeโ order last week, shutting down in-person operations at all businesses that were not deemed essential.
Weinberger said Monday that he believed social distancing had been working in the city.
Using cellphone data from the Church Street Marketplace, the city saw a significant decline in marketplace visitors, down to only 620 Sunday compared to over 2,500 each day for the first two weeks of the month.
