ย 

Burlington school district
Emails obtained by VTDigger indicate that former Vice Chair Stephanie Seguino, right, was concerned that Superintendent Yaw Obeng, left, might be removed by the incoming school board. File photo by Cory Dawson/VTDigger

[B]URLINGTON โ€” The newly formed School Board is trying to move ahead following the release of text messages and emails of current and former members that included speculation that Superintendent Yaw Obeng could be ousted.

The electronic communications were connected to the impending release of a report growing out of an investigation into alleged racial discrimination by a board member as it considered a contract extension for Obeng.

The investigation by a former Vermont State Police officer concluded in a 20-page report โ€” released April 13 โ€” that it was unable to determine if there had been bias on the part of Jeff Wick, now the boardโ€™s vice chairperson.

After the report was released, commissioners fleshed out an April 1 resolution by the outgoing board reaffirming a commitment to equity and inclusion and directed the superintendent to implement measures that would prevent discrimination from occurring in the district.

How Obeng will implement those measures has not been publicly discussed. However, since his arrival the district has invested more heavily into restorative justice practices, tracking suspensions by race and gender, and hiring more teachers of color.

Chairperson Clare Wool did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Emails between former board members Stephanie Seguino and Susanmarie Harrington confirm that some members were concerned that racial bias could force Obeng out after the new board was sworn in.

โ€œThis is a deep racial issue, Susanmarie,โ€ Seguino wrote to Harrington in a text. โ€œThe stated intention of the new board is to get rid of Yaw, and that is racially driven.โ€

Harrington supported Seguinoโ€™s assessment, but didnโ€™t see how the โ€œreport as framedโ€ demonstrated that. Harrington didnโ€™t attend the April 1 emergency board meeting, she said, because she โ€œwasnโ€™t convinced of the usefulness of the need for the meeting.โ€ She said she hopes the district conversation will now focus on addressing racism at an institutional level.

Seguino responded, that โ€œJeffโ€™s remarks are at a minimum racially biased. The effort to get rid of Yaw will be more difficult if this report becomes public because it will be seen as retaliation.โ€

Jeff Wick
Burlington School Board Vice Chair Jeff Wick. File photo by Gail Callahan/VTDigger

Wick had been quoted by then-board Chairperson Mark Porter at a Jan. 23 meeting: โ€œI understand we need to hire more teachers of color, but have we gone too far in hiring district leadership of color?โ€ Wick denied making the statement.

Last week, Wool dismissed Seguinoโ€™s remarks. โ€œIโ€™m disappointed to learn we are judged so inappropriately, the charge statement is preposterous.โ€

Wick rejected Seguinoโ€™s remarks about Obeng.

โ€œI donโ€™t believe any incoming board member had nor has the intention of removing the superintendent,โ€ Wick said. โ€œItโ€™s my observation that the board is excited to work with โ€” and support โ€” Superintendent Obeng.

โ€œThe new board also remains fully committed to our communityโ€™s core values of diversity, equity and inclusion,โ€ he said. โ€œI personally share this excitement and commitment.โ€

VTDigger received the texts after making a public records request.

Seguino declined to comment on the texts and and would not discuss why some district parents and teachers appear to be angry with Obeng.

At a board meeting late last year, some Burlington parents and taxpayers raised questions about renewing Obengโ€™s contract. Dan Cunningham said he wanted more information on the decision-making, claiming the superintendent lacked support from some parents and teachers.

โ€œI havenโ€™t seen any input from parents and teachers on whether we want him going forward,โ€ Cunningham said, โ€œbut I can tell you that very large numbers of parents and teachers in this community are not in favor of that.โ€

The Burlington School Board offered Obeng a three-year contract effective July 1 with a salary of $161,091, more than $6,200 above his current pay rate. Three commissioners, including Wick, voted against the contract.

Burlington resident Elizabeth Pennebaker is still pursuing a complaint with the board about what she believes was the boardโ€™s violation of the stateโ€™s open meetings law stemming from its April 1 emergency meeting.

โ€œI want to feel out whatโ€™s going on with my complaint, and I want to see how the new board treats the complaint,โ€ she said.

A spokesman at the Chittenden Superior Courtโ€™ s Civil Division said last week Pennebaker has not filed a lawsuit.

Correction: The police investigation into racial discrimination could not determine if there was bias on the part of Jeffrey Wick; an earlier version of this story said the investigation found no evidence of bias.

Gail Callahan is a New Jersey native. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from St. Michael's College. Throughout her career, she worked for weekly newspapers as well as magazines. Her...