pipe bomb
A photograph from the police affidavit shows a second device found in Northfield after an explosion in December.

A grand jury has indicted the man who lit an explosive device outside his residence in Northfield last month.

Mark McCloud, 45, detonated a bomb made from a 6ยฝ-inch-long copper pipe packed with explosive powder Dec. 10, according to law enforcement officials.

Last week, a federal grand jury handed down the indictment, charging McCloud on one count of knowingly possessing โ€œdestructive devicesโ€ that he had not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

According to court records, McCloud pleaded not guilty Monday at an arraignment in U.S. District Court in Burlington. He waived his right to attend the arraignment.

McCloud lost his left hand in the explosion. Four others were nearby at the time and were also treated in the hospital for their injuries.

McCloud told investigators he acquired the device and about a dozen others like it in a box that belonged to an acquaintance of his motherโ€™s. He said he gave some of the devices to other people but kept the largest for himself.

In a video uploaded to YouTube, McCloud said he believed the pipe bomb was a firework when he lit it while holding it in his left hand.

โ€œNobody manufactured these. Nobody was doing it on purpose,โ€ McCloud said in the video. โ€œTo me it was just fun, and I paid a big price for it.โ€

Motions are due in the case by April 12.

Twitter: @emhew. Elizabeth Hewitt is the Sunday editor for VTDigger. She grew up in central Vermont and holds a graduate degree in magazine journalism from New York University.

2 replies on “Northfield man indicted in pipe bomb explosion”