Vermont’s congressional delegation is taking a wait-and-see stance on next week’s debate over whether the United States should take military action to halt human rights atrocities in Syria. Last month the Syrian government led by Bashar Assad killed 1,429 people, including women and children, in a chemical weapons attack. In a speech on Saturday, President Barack Obama said he would seek congressional approval before pursuing intervention.

Members of the Senate and the House of Representatives received classified and unclassified briefings this weekend on the escalating crisis in Syria. They are expected to begin debate on Sept. 9 over whether to approve the president’s plan to intercede.

Like their counterparts in Congress, Vermont’s senators and sole congressman appear to be ambivalent about using military force against Syria at a time when America is pulling out of Afghanistan.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., president of the Senate, told Politico on Sunday that new legislation is being drafted to reflect concerns the president’s proposal is too “open-ended.” Leahy opposes the deployment of American soldiers to quell the conflict between the Syrian government and rebel fighters.

“The President is right to seek authorization from Congress for a response to the Syrian regime’s clear violation of international law, in the use of weapons of mass destruction against innocent civilians,” Leahy said in a statement. “I continue to oppose introducing U.S. troops into this conflict, and I continue to believe that seeking congressional approval of military action is called for. Given the positions taken by past presidents, the President’s decision to seek congressional approval is especially commendable. I look forward to this debate, and we should have it openly in the Congress.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., is waiting for more information before he makes a decision about how to vote on the matter.

โ€œThe use of chemical weapons by the Assad dictatorship is inhumane and a violation of international law,” Sanders said. “However, at this point in time, I need to hear more from the president as to why he believes it is in the best interests of the United States to intervene in Syria’s bloody and complicated civil war. I look forward to the Senate debate that will be taking place in the very near future.โ€

Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., says he is pleased with the president’s decision to ask Congress for permission to strike Syria with military force.

“I will be an active participant in the forthcoming debate and will be mindful throughout of the enormous sacrifice we ask every day of the men and women of America’s military and their families,” Welch said.

VTDigger's founder and editor-at-large.

10 replies on “Vermont’s congressional delegation welcomes debate on Syria, noncommital about level of U.S. involvement at this point”