VTDigger is a nationally recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting and in-depth daily coverage of local and state news. Our mission is to produce rigorous journalism that explains complex issues, holds the government accountable to the public and engages Vermonters in the democratic process.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations that has developed a model of sustainable funding for local journalism. The organization has grown quickly in just a decade, becoming the go-to source of news for the state of Vermont — with an average of 700,000 unique readers a month and 28 employees. For more about how VTDigger has become the largest news operation in Vermont, click here.
In most states, a city the size of Burlington (population 44,743) would attract little notice. But in rural Vermont, Burlington stands out as the state’s commercial, cultural and political center of gravity.
For a resident or tourist, the Queen City has much to offer: a gorgeous waterfront, a bustling Church Street Marketplace and a vibrant arts and music scene.
For a journalist, it offers even more: pitched policy debates over policing, housing and development; a strong third party molded in the image of former mayor Bernie Sanders; nationally known businesses such as Burton Snowboards and Seventh Generation; and major institutions, such as the state’s largest university, hospital and airport.
VTDigger is searching for a dogged reporter who can break Burlington’s biggest stories — and also seek out the smaller stories that speak to the character of the community. This reporter should be equally comfortable covering City Hall, filing public records requests and engaging in street-level reporting.
The reporter would work out of VTDigger’s new Burlington office alongside two other northwestern Vermont regional reporters and a Burlington-based editor.
This role is a fit if you …
- Seek out scoops and embrace enterprise reporting.
- Are committed to building relationships with diverse communities and know how to build a representative source list.
- Can work independently but are an enthusiastic collaborator.
- Are as comfortable writing a news brief as a magazine-length investigation.
- Strive for accuracy and truth in reporting.
- Are a skilled writer and storyteller.
- Have a working knowledge of data reporting and enthusiasm for finding stories buried within reports.
- Are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion — throughout your work and as it relates to your beat.
- Enjoy engaging with readers and responding to their tips.
- Are willing to engage with and represent the views of those on every side of a contentious issue.
- Can spot trends and understand how they will play out.
- Can explain complicated issues clearly and simply.
- Writing 3-4 compelling stories a week.
- Identifying and reporting out investigative projects.
- Pitching ideas that result in ground-breaking stories.
- Working collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters.
- Cultivating diverse and representative sources.
- Working with the editing team to ensure stories are accurate and fair.
- Meeting deadlines set by you and your supervising editor.
- Placing public records requests as needed.
- Effectively and professionally communicating verbally and in writing with colleagues, sources and readers.
- Listening intently to others and valuing others’ opinions.
- Communicating openly and promptly sharing information and ideas with others throughout the organization.
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Start date: November/December 2021
Compensation: Highly competitive
We are working remotely during the Covid pandemic, but we expect to return to our offices in Montpelier and Burlington. The Burlington reporter would be based in the latter.
How to apply
Using this form, please upload a resume, up to three samples of your work and a cover letter that explains why you want to work for VTDigger and why you’re the right fit for this job. The deadline is November 7, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Please note: We recognize there are great candidates who may not fit the description above or who have important skills and experiences we haven’t thought of. If that sounds like you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us more about yourself. VTDigger is committed to constantly improving our organization, in part by better reflecting the communities we serve. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for all people. We especially encourage members of communities that are traditionally underrepresented — and misrepresented — in media to apply to join our team, including people who are Black, Indigenous or people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.