Aligning Educational Resources and Institutes
GroundWork: A Series on Cultivating a Sustainable Future through Education, Applied Research and Innovation, is a conference series presented by the Vermont Technical College Institute for Applied Agriculture and Food Systems. To date, we have explored some of the core issues affecting our state related to agriculture, food production, waste disposal and energy production, from both the economic and educational perspectives. At this final conference of this series, we will reﬂect on all we have unearthed to date, and address our collective roadmap for the future to invigorate active partnerships among private, public, government and education counterparts.
8:30 – 9 am Registration, check-in, light breakfast
9:00 – 10 am Welcome: Philip Conroy, President, Vermont Technical College
Panel: Incorporating what we have learned; how can we work together;
how higher education can help
Moderator: Roger Allbee, Senior Advisor, Vermont Technical College Institute for Agriculture & Food Systems
• Sarah Isham, Senior Agricultural Loan Officer, Vermont Economic Development Authority
• Justin Johnson, Deputy Secretary, Agency of Natural Resources
• Stephen Paddock, Director, Vermont Tech Enterprise Center
• Dan Smith, Co-Chair, Education and Workforce Development Working Group, Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund Farm to Plate Network
10 – 10:15 am Break
10:15 – 11:15 am Panel: Leadership for the Future: How do we make Vermont a national leader in food systems education?
Moderator: Paul Costello,
Executive Director, Vermont Council on Rural Development
• Doug Lantagne, Dean of Extension University of Vermont
• Philip Conroy, President, Vermont Technical College
• Chuck Ross, Secretary, Vermont Department of Agriculture
11:15 – Noon Open Discussion
Facilitator: Paul Costello
What is our vision for collaborative education in advancing food systems in Vermont?
What could be the best outcomes?
What specific advice do you have for the Higher Education Food Systems Collaboration Team?
Conclusion: Philip Conroy and Roger Allbee
12:15 – 2 pm Lunch