Rep. Martha Heath, chair of House Appropriations, steps down

Rep. Martha Heath, chair of House Appropriations, steps down

Rep. Martha Heath, D-Westford, chair of the House Committee on Appropriations. Photo by Roger Crowley/for VTDigger

Rep. Martha Heath, chair of the powerful House Appropriations Committee, will not seek re-election to a 12th term.

Heath, a Westford Democrat, served 22 years in the House, including 10 as chair of the budget-writing committee.

“The reasons for leaving are many but in the end they boil down to the fact that my head and my heart are telling me that it is time to step aside,” Heath wrote in an email that said she was currently traveling out of state. “I have been honored by the trust the voters in my districts have placed in me.”

As of 5 p.m. Monday, only one person had filed a petition with the Secretary of State’s Office to run in Heath’s Chittenden 8-3 district — Republican Robert Bancroft.

Heath, 67, said she did not have any immediate plans and thanked her constituents, fellow lawmakers and Statehouse staff for their support.

“One of the joys of serving in the legislature is all the wonderful people you meet and work with,” Heath wrote in the email. “The people who staff the Joint Fiscal Office and Legislative Council are incredible resources to legislators and I feel privileged to have worked with them. The people who staff the legislature and its committees are all great assets. Most of all, my fellow legislators are all people who come to the job with varied perspectives and ideas about how to move the state forward. In the end I have found every one of them to be people who care deeply about Vermont and its people. It has been a true pleasure to work with them.”

Tom Brown

21 Comments on "Rep. Martha Heath, chair of House Appropriations, steps down"

Paul Lorenzini
2 years 2 months ago

Because of Climate Change, not Global Warming?

Aye it will be much warmer south when the globe cools.

Man’s fault.

Vanessa Mills
2 years 2 months ago

It seems as if even the Dems are getting frustrated with the gridlock resulting from
Shumlin’s super-majority. Are even the ruling party Dems feeling hamstrung?! So it would seem. The question that roils: What will happen to Vermont from here?!

Somehow, some “balance” must be restored. And, on SO many levels, in so many layers, we cannot afford the path Vermont is on.

Walter Carpenter
2 years 2 months ago

“And, on SO many levels, in so many layers, we cannot afford the path Vermont is on.”

I suppose we should go back to what we could not afford either.

Vanessa Mills
2 years 2 months ago

You made that point, Mr. Stannard, not I. That’s not what I’m saying. Balance and diverse voices are indicators of the health of any system. If a super majority of ANY persusasion rules the day, there’s not enough balance.

Vanessa Mills
2 years 2 months ago

Correction! (here’s where I laugh at myself defending my comments typically with Mr. Stannard! Apologies, Mr. Stannard, for even bringing you up here!)
The above should read: “You made that point, Mr Carpenter, not I.”

John Greenberg
2 years 2 months ago

So Vermont was unhealthy for the 100 years following the Civil War? All of the South likewise? That’s a pretty significant generalization you’re making, which could use a bit more evidence than you’ve provided to be credible.

Wayne Andrews
2 years 2 months ago

Another liberal voting for huge tax increases in stages with no sure way of paying for it is now electing not to run again.

David Tucker

Vanessa Mills
2 years 2 months ago
Mr. Tucker writes: “I realize it takes some level of effort to make cogent responses to the stories on Digger, but if this is not an example of someone relying on tired right wing rhetoric to demean otherwise good people (and Rep. Heath is one of those good people) I don’t know what is. Just because you are a right wing hammer doesn’t make everyone you disagree with a left wing nail.” Wow. Do you know me, Mr. Tucker. I don’t believe you do. I don’t know you. And I’m no “right wing hammer,” sir. I vote all over the… Read more »
Jason Farrell
2 years 2 months ago

I imagine that if Mr. Tucker had felt the need to respond to you, or your posts Ms. Mills, that Mr. Tucker would have hit “Reply” on your thread. Instead it appears that his “right wing hammer” reply was placed below a comment Mr. Andrews made, which I took to mean he was “replying” to Mr. Andrews, not you.

Best wishes.

Vanessa Mills
2 years 2 months ago

If you are correct, Mr. Farrell, I acknowledge my error. And apologies to Mr. Tucker as well, if you are correct.

My point about a super-majority and balance still stands.

Thanks for the opportunity, Vt. Digger, to express opinions and points of view.
And best wishes to you, too, Mr. Farrell.

John Perry
2 years 2 months ago

Martha Heath has been a voice of calm and reason on spending in Vermont for many, many years. She will be sorely missed.

Walter Carpenter
2 years 2 months ago

“Martha Heath has been a voice of calm and reason on spending in Vermont for many, many years. ”

I agree. She will be sorely missed.

Jamie Carter
2 years 2 months ago

A pick up seat for republicans

Jason Farrell
2 years 2 months ago

Robert L. Bancroft is the only current candidate for this newly vacated seat, though I suspect others will emerge before tomorrow’s deadline, so it’s a possible pick-up seat for Republicans. Do you know Dr. Bancroft? Would you endorse him?

Jason Farrell
2 years 2 months ago

Liz Subin, Democrat, is also running for this open seat. It’s a pick-up opportunity for the Republicans, but it will be a contested race.

Julie Tessler
2 years 2 months ago

Martha has worked dutifully and successful for years on the state budget. Her expertise and skill are immense. All Vermonters have benefited from her leadership. It has been a pleasure for all of us that work with her, because she knows the budget inside and out and always gives you a straight story. She will be sorely missed, but our gratitude and the impact of her years of service will be lasting.

Moshe Braner
2 years 2 months ago

Thank you, Martha, for your service to my district and to the state as a whole!

Jim Christiansen
2 years 2 months ago

Thank you for your service to Vermonters.

On a separate note, 22 consecutive years for any elected official is 12 too many.

Will Adams
2 years 2 months ago

Apparently the voters in her district disagree.

2 years 2 months ago

Yes, turn that one out to pasture – no one is happy with the state of the State. I don’t care what accolades you want to give a departing career politician, if you’re part of a system that’s broke, well, you just can’t function freely within that system.

She is obviously leaving because she is SICK of the system! And everyone and I mean everyone she worked with are the greatest most caring people on earth!

Thanks for reporting an error with the story, "Rep. Martha Heath, chair of House Appropriations, steps down"